I call these the 90/10 manuals because once you’ve taught one math year, 90% of the teacher’s manual is unnecessary.
However, there’s a 10% that is VITAL to your sanity.
Abeka worksheets aren’t supposed to take very long at all. That’s because there is a great deal of DRILL happening in the teacher’s manual that you don’t know about if you don’t own one. Much of the work on that sheet is supposed to be INSTANT already. Yikes! So, here’s that information you need.
Before you start Abeka 2
I call the first month of Abeka, “You-already-know-this.” If you don’t already have these COLD, you start out behind. This material is “reviewed” in the first 30 lessons. It is assumed memorized from then on.
- Fact Families 1-8 addition and subtraction
- 1-200 forward and backward counting/writing by 1’s, 2’s, 5’s, 10’s, evens and odds.
- Recognizing/ordering cardinal and ordinal words 1-20
- Name and draw all four basic shapes, coins
- Name and count all coins
- Putting consecutive and non-consecutive numbers in order
- Name days of the week, put word cards in order
- Name months of the year, put word cards in order
- Odd months 1-7 and even months 8-12 are 31 days
- Setting a clock to the hour and half hour
- # of mo/yr, days/wk, min/hr, hrs/day
- process words like “sum” and “difference”
Fact Family Pacing Guide
Abeka expects the child to have the previous family of facts mastered by the time a new family is introduced (read: first appears in the box at the top of the worksheet). By “family” they mean the set of facts that all add up to that number (0+4, 1+3, 2+2, 3+1, 4+0) or the set of subtraction facts that are all taken away from that number (3-0, 3-1, 3-2).
Multiplication is introduced, but the mastery expectations for this year end with +/- Family 18. However, next year, the 0-3 times tables are covered in the first 3 weeks. Just, FYI.
Other Drill Pacing Guide
Here is the list of what has to be NAILED day 1 of 3GRD, according to them, in addition to what you see above. The drill in the manual goes way beyond that, but I just want to know what HAS to get done. This is enough to keep me busy.
- Multiplication tables 0-3
- Add/sub/mult process terminology
- Roman numeral 1-12
- Money values and notation
- Place values (ex. 56,789, What value is the 7?)
- Clock reading, setting to 5 min
- Concept of 1/2, 1/3, 1/4 (of an object, number, and group)
- # of mo/yr, days/wk, min/hr, hrs/day, c/pt/qt/gal
- Setting a thermometer to even/odd degrees