Liturgical/Saints Resources for February

in 1GRD, 2GRD, KGRD, Peek Inside, Religion, Saints Picture Books

61DCL31efTL

I just wanted to share how we do “Read Aloud Time” for K-2nd in my house. (It’s required K-2nd, even though it’s only explicit in the K syllabus.)  First of all, in my house, it’s really K-5 since none of the kids want to miss out. It’s the first thing we do every day after breakfast.

1. We read the “Saint of the Day” from whatever saints book is called for that year.  We are using Picture Book of Saints this year.  (The Table of Contents for saints books are listed in calendar order for you here.)  There’s only 3 saints this month in Picture Book of Saints, (bolded on below list) so I’ll be relying on picture books a lot. Alternatively, if there is a “listen to a saint story” assignment that day, and there’s no nearby saint, we use one of the summer saints from HERE.
  2. We read any assigned books of the month from the Liturgical Year lists in the back of all the syllabi.  My kids are really too old for the Catholic Children’s Treasure Box assigned in K, and there was nothing assigned in 1st, so we’ll just be reading the 2nd grade Tarzia picture book on the Eucharist followed by a book on communion.  My kids didn’t take to the St. Joseph picture book assigned so we’ll use this one.  Since we’ll likely get through both of those in the first few of days of February, I may repeat them halfway through the month for heck.
  3. We keep working through one of the fiction books from the lists.    I think we’ll do Mr. Revere and I, since we enjoyed Ben and Me so much.

FEBRUARY BOOKS

All month:  Books on Holy Communion
(Bolded feasts below are found in Picture Book of Saints.)

1 February: Saint Brigid

3 February: Saint Blasé or Saint Ansgar

5 February: Saint Agatha
6 February: Saints Paul Miki and companions
8 February: Saint Jerome Emiliani or Saint Josephine Bakhita
10 February: Saint Scholastica

• Holy Twins by De Paola (OP De Paola books are coming out on kindle.  This one is still available used, for now.)

11 February: Our Lady of Lourdes

13 February: Saint Modomnoc

14 February: Saints Cyril and Methodius
14 Valentine’s Day

17 February: Seven Holy Founders of the Servite Order

18 February:  Saint Bernadette

21 February: Saint Peter Damian
22 February: Chair of Saint Peter
23 February: Saint Polycarp
25 February: Saint Sebastian

27 February: Saint Gabriel of Our Lady of Sorrows

Anyone know of any other really good resources for saints this month?

1 lauren February 22, 2014

How long does your read aloud time take?

2 admin February 22, 2014

Maybe 20-25 minutes.

3 Lauren February 22, 2014

Okay thanks. I’m just trying to wrap my brain around how you do this, because my two kids in school are in 1st and 2nd grade (our 1st year doing MODG). So whose read aloud list do you follow when you have multiple kids? Just a mix? And this is different from the books/stories for saint books they do in 1-2nd grade? Or do you combine that with this morning reading? My head is swimming with the possibilities of how to combine.

4 admin February 23, 2014

I know! I had the same thing. My two oldest are a year apart. The flexibility of it all can make you go CRAZY.

Here’s the quick and dirty: You need to read aloud 20-30 minutes a day from “the booklists”. You can do it in the morning, evening, whenever. One session a day is plenty. There’s nothing especially unique about the difference in a single grade. Two grades matters, but not one. I made a combined list.

The only thing you run into is that about week 20, the second grader has history readings too. Its up to you if you want to include the first grader in that and call it “read aloud time” for the day.

5 Lauren February 23, 2014

And so are you also combining the saint retellings with this too? Or do you do that again separately when their religion comes up?
Thanks for commiserating. :) I think what I’m most appreciating about your resources right now is your compilation of saint stories/liturgical year stuff. I feel like I’m really lacking in that department. We have PBS for 1st and The Young People’s Book of Saints for 2nd, but as you mentioned, it’s not necessarily totally dry, but I feel like I could be making a better attempt at helping them really make a connection with the saints. So when I saw those pages you created, I nearly shouted, “YES!!!!!” But I’m just trying to take deep breaths and do things the calm and organized way before I go clickety click and BUY ALL THE BOOKS. 😉 I’m just not sure how you organize covering liturgical/saint stuff in a general way vs. their saint retellings. It also could be that I have a newborn and my brain is just too fuzzy to function properly! I stumbled across your website a few days ago and it was like the heavens parted.

6 admin February 23, 2014

We should be friends. You sound exactly like me two years ago. It baffles me how other moms use this curriculum without the answers to these questions!

It’s ALL the same reading time in our house (but the actual retelling goes in religion class.) I look over the plans each week and see who has a retelling. I try to read a saint’s picture book on that day. I always point out to the child, “You will be giving me a retelling on this in religion class tomorrow, so pay special attention.” When we get to religion class the next day, or two days later, I hand them the book to page through and refresh, then they give me the retelling.

Some weeks, there are several saints readings, so I point out to the appropriate child that he has a retelling this week, and he can choose whichever saint story he liked best that we read, but again, before each daily saints reading, I remind him that he has a retelling and should pay attention. (I do all this reminding because reading time is also artsy time and they draw and build or whatever while they listen, so I make a point to let them know the eyeballs need to be on the book for this story.)

Some weeks, there’s a retelling, but no saints reading. In this case, I just pick one of my summer saint favorites and read him/her during group time, again letting the appropriate child know that he will be expected to remember it later.

Our daily family read aloud time is first dictated by the weekly assignments. Who has bible story retellings or picture books in history or a saint’s retelling? I schedule that in first. K-4, we do it together. The child who NEEDS to actively listen is notified. There’s never been a complaint about having to listen to something they heard last year.

7 Lauren February 23, 2014

Okay, that is VERY helpful, thanks! It makes so much sense to do it that way. I really like MODG, but I was starting to wonder how I was going to be able to do it with multiple kids. Teaching two feels like I couldn’t add another, and there are 3 kids coming up behind them! But you’ve given me so many ideas. Thanks again! And I think MODG needs to hire you! Seriously, they’ve got a great thing going, but some instructions are lacking.